Thursday, July 26, 2012

Back on track, again.


After a long break in blogging due to general laziness and lack of decent internet service, I'm back! Just signed up for 10 more weeks of my Johnson's Backyard Garden CSA subscription so going to try to get back on track here also. I was inspired recently to get back into it by my friend Michelle who is a board member for the Austin Food Bloggers Alliance.  I met a bunch of other great foodie bloggers at one of their events last night.

In this weeks box:
Leeks

Okra
Basil
Melon
Sweet Potato Greens
Malabar Spinach
Beets
Butternut Squash
Summer squashes
Potatoes (subbed in for eggplant)
Sweet and hot peppers

A great variety this week for sure. Eggplant is not my friend so I subbed it out for some great fingerling potatoes when I picked up my box at the Cedar Park Farmers Market .My favorite feature of JBG is the option to easily sub out items that are not my fave. Normally this is a place to plan out my week but since it's Thursday it'll be more of a recap as we're almost at the end.

Saturday night I wanted something super simple so I made my stand by Pasta Carbonara as a base but added in some sauteed summer squash, fresh basil and a bit of cream.


Sunday I was searching around for how to use the malabar spinach and kept finding references to Indian food so I made a kind of hodge podge of chicken tikka masala with okra and malabar spinach- it turned out actually really good. To keep the okra from being slimy cut it crosswise into slices and fried in a bit of coconut oil before adding it to the tikka at the last minute. I also put a few of the sweet peppers in the mix with it. Some good garlic naan and jasmine rice and I was a happy camper.

Then Monday happened, and Tuesday and Wednesday, all three nights being eat out nights. So now I have two days left to use up a ton of this weeks box. This is why I need to start blogging this on Saturday or Sunday as I plan the week. It makes it so much easier to stick to the plan if it's written down somewhere.

My daughters will finish off the melon today I'm sure and so tonight we'll have pork chops with sauteed sweet potato greens and butternut squash. I'll nuke the beets, thank you Barbra Kafka!  and have them on a salad for lunch the next few days. Friday night is our usual steak night- my hubby always wants corn on the cob and asparagus with his steak but I may have to do summer squash and little potatoes with leeks this time, he'll get over it. On Saturday I'm looking forward to putting some carne guisada in the crock pot, going to use this recipe from Jennie at MisoHungry who I met at the event last night. I'll use most of the peppers in that. Saturday is pickup day so look for a new post late Saturday or early Sunday with next weeks bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment